Knowledge is power, especially when it can spare you from problems and save you a lot of money. Here are some expert tips to help you keep your cooling and heating systems in the best condition possible for years of safe and economical use.
- Keep Your Unit Clean & Clear: Be sure to clean or change your air filter about once a month, and always use the proper size for your unit. It is also important to keep your outside unit clear of debris to avoid blocking airflow.
- Upgrade Your Insulation: For homes built before 1985, it may be necessary to upgrade insulation to reduce cooling and heating costs and make your home more comfortable.
- Check Your Thermostat: Cooling your home at 78°; or warmer with the fan switch on "auto" can provide the best balance between comfort and savings. For extra savings, raise the thermostat to 82°; when you’re not home.
- Make Use of Ceiling Fans: Keep your home comfortable and reduce your A/C costs by installing energy-efficient ceiling fans to circulate the air. The average cost to run a fan is only $7 a month!
- Maintain Airflow: Keep interior doors and vents open to help circulate the air.
- Seal Cracks in Windows and Doors: Sealing small cracks and crevices (less than 1 / 4; inch wide) between a window or door frame and the molding can save 10% or more on your heating bills and reduce your carbon emissions by hundreds of pounds per year.
- Install a Door Sweep: A simple plastic, self-adhesive door sweep blocks cold air from entering the home via the space between the door and the threshold and improves heating and cooling efficiency.
- Consider Buying a Newer, More Efficient Heating and A/C Unit: If your system is over 10-years-old, it may be time to purchase a new unit. For maximum operating efficiency and energy savings, ask Facemyer Air Conditioning and Heating about the Trane XV20i.
Contact our team for advice or service when you need it. Exceeding Your Expectations With Comfort.